The benefits to life coaching for kids are as individual as your children and rely on what is going on for them at the time.
Generally speaking though there are 5 top benefits to hiring a life coach for your kids and so I’m going to share them with you here.
As parents we see and hear things about mental health in children and its worrying. We know that half of all the mental health conditions we experience at some point in our lives will have started by the age of 14 years. 1 in 7 young people aged 4 to 17 years experience a mental health condition in any one year. (see Beyondblue.org for references).
These stats are real and with the lockdowns and stress of homeschooling and Covid-19 these past few months, these stats may be even greater post-covid.
I believe the benefits of life coaching kids as an early intervention and prevention tool is useful. However, I’m not here to say that life coaching replaces psychological or psychiatric interventions for children who experience clinical depression and anxiety. These conditions need to be diagnosed by a psychologist or psychiatrist.
When is life coaching useful?
With all the things going on in the works, the influence and effect of social media on our kids and the rapidly changing technological environment, there are plenty of reasons to and benefits to seeking the help of a certified professional life coach for your kids. Here are my top 5:
- When you see your kids struggling with their self-esteem and beating themselves up when they get something wrong, or someone doesn’t like them, this can be the start of negative self talk and negative mindsets. Here life coaching would help your kids to build their self-esteem by focusing on who they are, not what they have done, who thinks they are popular or what they can do.
- When your kids hit a hurdle in life or a major change and they are struggling with it, for example, a new school year, moving house, divorcing parents, friends going away etc. Life coaching helps with building resilience and learning how to get back up, move forward and be OK with the changes.
- When your kids are lacking in self confidence, or they are shy or anxious about trying new things or being around new people. Life coaching can help kids to believe in themselves, embrace their uniqueness, move through fear, develop a growth mindset so they can bravely try new things and experience all that life has to offer them.
- When you want to see your child take on more leadership or responsibility in their lives, this is a great time for life coaching. Coaching can help kids navigate decision making, peer pressure and bullying and help them to understand their value, uniqueness and what integrity means in their life.
- When you see your kids lacking respect for themselves or others, this might be linked to self-esteem or confidence, bullying you may not know about, struggles at school with learning…….. life coaching can help with understanding respect for self and respect for others in a non-judgmental, safe space.
These are my top 5 benefits to life coaching, there are many more, including facing fears, tricky friendships, planning for the future (this is a great one for teens) and more.
Life coaching is NOT counselling or psychotherapy, counselling is for the more serious issues that usually come with a diagnosis from a professional psychologist, pediatrician or psychiatrist.
Life coaching is about helping kids to to recognise their mindset and move towards where they want to be in life so they don’t need years of therapy as adults.
For more information on kids life coaching packages, please contact Fiona via email; email@example.com